This white-stone buildings were built by architect Matvey Kazakov as a part of the Golitsyn Hospital for Deprived.
In 1796, members of the Golitsyn family together with several other noble families have donated funds to built a hospital for deprived people. It was planned to be at the Bolshaya Kaluzhskaya Street (today’s Leningradsky Avenue). The construction was supervised by cousin of Knyaz Dmitriy Mikhailovich Golitsyn – Privy Councillor in Deed, Archchamberlain Aleksandr Mikhailovich Golitsyn.
Matvey Kazakov was invited for the construction of the building and attached areas. The main design pattern is a city estate. Inside the hospital building there was a church, which dome still crowns the Golitsyn Section of the First City Hospital. Per Kazakov’s design, a garden and two ponds were arranged at an area from the hospital building to a Moscow River embankment for patients to walk around. The construction lasted from 1796 to 1802.
The garden was ending at nearest to the Moscow River stone embankment (the so-called Golitsyn Wall), flanked by two stone arbouries serving as its borders. The Golitsyn Hospital complex remained untouched up to 1923, when its area was considerably shrunk: the western flood plain part, which included lower terraces with ponds, was assigned to the All-Union Agriculture Exhibiton, held in 1923. Later the Golitsyn Garden area was attached to the Central Park of Culture and Leisure (the Gorky Park), opened in 1928.
The rotundas of the Golitsyn Hospital are registered as objects of historical legacy of federal value. Restoration works were held since February 2019 based on design and supervision of the Culture Legacy Department of Moscow.
Snow-white rotunda arbouries with emerald domes are a real treasure and distinctive landmarks of the Gorky Park.