Presently Gorky Park is divided into 4 parts - Vorobyovy Gory, Neskuchny Garden, MUZEON and Parterre. Each part is represented as a single whole and has its unique meaning. Parterre (as Gorky Park is sometimes called) is the main part.
The Park owes its appearance to the Soviet authorities. Before the revolution there was Orlovsk meadow that spread along Kaluzhskaya road and Neskuchny Garden.
After the revolution and ending of Civil War the new government had to demonstrate that Bolsheviks were not only able to ruin the old history but to create the new one. To show the success of the Soviet industry and agriculture gained for the first 5 years of its ruling it was decided to organize in Moscow the allrussian agricultural and cottage exhibition. Lenin personally gave an order on this event.
Realization of the exhibition was under the responsibility of famous outstanding architects and artists of that period of time - Zheltovsky, Melnikov, Lisitsky, Shusev and some others. Under their command over 250 pavilions were constructed. Each of them had their own theme dedicated to one or another area of industry and agriculture.
In 1928 on the ex-territory of the agriculture exhibition it was decided to organize the Park for culture and recreation. Pavilions of the exhibition were totally reconstructed and on 12th of August the opening of the Park was announced. The occasion gained widespread advertising in newspapers and on the radio. On the very first day entrance to the Park was free, however for the second day the price was fixed - 10 and 5 kopeks for adult and children tickets. The day Gorky Park was officially open enormous crowd flooded on its territory. Needless to say that the opening was unlucky - many attractions were ruined, flowers trampled, parks decorations got seriously damaged. Having worked for only one month the Park had to close and its administration was dismissed.
To recreate the Park with the whole new concept was assigned to a young woman Betty Glan who consequently became the most noted director of Gorky Park. Many of her ideas were so great that they are being used even nowadays. To make the decorations for the Park Betty managed to find a very creative and original team - most talented architects, artists and decorators. Stangberg brothers, Zheltovsky, Vlasov and many other outstanding artists worked with her.
After its new opening in 1929 the Park came alive again. However it was not easy to reconstruct the whole Park - it took over 10 years to finish it up.